Monday 18 June 2012

Being Human

*Author's note*
 Sorry Guys, didn't update this blog for a long time. I was busy with thewackyheads.com. Now that it's stable, I'm back to this blog. To make up for the lost time, I'm publishing the last few posts which I'd previously published on TWH. A new post is preprogrammed to go public after every two days, so I guess you'll have your hands full for the next fortnight. Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was out shopping for clothing (totally pointless, but i’ve been told that being at a new college requires a change of wardrobe). Totally boring, but performing this unpleasant ritual once a year helps avoiding it for another one.  After spending three “pain in the you-know-what” hours, I was finally done with shopping and got to my favourite part of the evening, i.e. food :D

As many of you know by now, little Ninad is a creepy stalker. Trying to live up to my reputation, I grabbed a corner seat and began to watch the people inside the restaurant. Interesting things are bound to happen at an overstuffed and understaffed hotel, and soon enough, soomething happened.

A waiter caused quite a commotion when he dumped a couple of plates full of food on the shining, clean-shaven head of a burly customer (If you ask me, that fatso got up without looking around, but the customer is  always right until he pays the money,so…)

Very soon, after all the mess, the guy started abusing the waiter and using all sorts of colourful expressions which you don’t normally hear at places other than truck docks. After all the doomsday threats, the guy accepted compensation from the waiter and left the restaurant smirking, his T shirt proudly proclaiming “Being human”.

I looked at the waiter. He was barely older than me and looked very close to tears due to the financial loss and humiliation. I was shocked at the behaviour of that man, but had seen many money lickers who asked for financial settlement for anything that went against them.

You see, it all boils down to money.  We don’t, or rather, don’t chose to see a worthy student who can’t buy his books or pay his fees citing our own expenses. The same day, we visit Adlabs or Cinemax, watch a trailer trash movie and eat pizza that looks like a puked-on pancake and throw a thousand bucks away.

Leave the charity aside, but look at what we teach the children: demand compensation from friends for lost or broken toys, or worse, break something in return. No wonder they don’t learn simple values like sharing. And then we cry, “Awww look where this generation is headed”.

I’ll cite another example here. I’d been to a blood donation camp recently. It felt good to help in my own small way, like many other donors there. Imagine our outrage ands hurt when when we came to know that the organiser of the drive was caught red handed (no pun intended) for selling the blood to a blood bank. He was the guy who had made a pretty speech the last day, telling everyone how benevolent our gesture was. Today charity is for showing off. People think that wearing a being human T shirt is more important than being one. Disgusting.

As I was contemplating all this, a voice intrrrupted, “I’m sorry sir, but it’s time for us to close. Can I get you anything?” I just asked for our errant guy to collect my bill. But before he could come, I paid the required amount,and emptied my pocket (or what was left of it) and decided to walk home. After all, walking is good for health, isn’t it???

No comments:

Post a Comment